In the College of Arts and Sciences, our passion drives discovery and creative activity. Our research and teaching engage multiple disciplines, foster many different ways of perceiving our surroundings, and pursue multiple paths for exploring the world. We push ourselves and our students to think deeply and broadly—to integrate ideas from the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences—in ways that lead to innovation and prepare us for the challenges that tomorrow will bring. We celebrate and value the diversity of people, cultures, and ideas in Nebraska and throughout our interdependent world.
Strategic Plan and Year 1 Report
Here are the details and drafts
that went into the creation of this plan.
Mark E. Button
Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Professor, Department of Political Science
Spring 2023: Our Mission and Strategy Update
Message from the Dean
Welcome to the start of the spring semester and the new year. I hope you have had a wonderful and restorative holiday break and that 2023 is off to a promising start.
After many months of thoughtful discussion and helpful input from faculty, staff, and students from across the college, the faculty approved an updated mission statement for the college during our fall 2022 meeting. I am pleased to share this with you.
Departments, Centers, Programs, and Institutes
Set up for success with a liberal arts degree
Skills employers want that go with you anywhere
A liberal arts degree empowers you for dealing with complexity, diversity, and change. Gain a broad knowledge of the world and deep knowledge in specific areas and apply your knowledge and skills in real-world settings.
- Employers like liberal arts graduates because they have the skills necessary to adapt in a changing workplace.
- Your degree remains valuable as your interests and experience—and the job market—change.
- Liberal arts graduates understand problems, generate solutions, and communicate them.
- An undergraduate liberal arts background prepares you for a diverse field of graduate studies.
No matter where you go or what you do, a liberal arts education is for life. Adapt and thrive in an ever-changing world.
- Actuarial Science
- African American and African Studies
- Asian Studies
- Behlen Observatory
- Biological Sciences
- Brain, Biology, and Behavior
- Bureau of Sociological Research
- Cedar Point Biological Station
- Children, Families and the Law
- Classics and Religious Studies
- Communication Studies
- Computer Science and Management
- Digital Research in the Humanities
- Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Environmental Studies
- Ethnic Studies
- Film Studies
- Global Integrative Studies
- Global Studies
- Great Plains Studies
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs
- Humanities in Medicine
- Intensive English
- Judaic Studies
- Latino and Latin American Studies
- Mass Spectrometry
- Materials and Nanoscience
- Materials Research Science and Engineering Center
- Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Modern Languages and Literatures
- Native American Studies
- Nineteenth Century Studies
- Physics and Astronomy
- Plant Science Innovatio
- Political Science
- Prairie Schooner
- Psychological Consultation Center
- Science, Mathematics, and Computer Education
- Women's and Gender Studies
Equity for All
The college's Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) Committee works closely with the university to ensure the equal right of every member of our community—students, staff, and faculty—to be included, supported, and heard.
Give Back For Today's Students
Your gift has the potential to affect many areas of a College of Arts and Sciences education. From funding scholarships and professorships to providing support for programs or projects, you can contribute to the curiosity of our students.